Saturday, August 6, 2011

I have big thighs....and it's ok....

So obviously, this post is NOT about crafts...lol....but that's ok....it's about big thighs... :)  This is what big thighs do to your favorite running shorts...




(yes I promise this is them on my arm, lol)  They've been patched several times and I refuse to give them up.  Needless to say, I patched them again.



I never used to have a hard time with having big thighs.  In school, I could press as much weight with my legs as the boys...even though I was half their size, and I never thought about having big thighs until I started modeling.  One day after a runway show, I was pulled into the office and told I needed to do something about my fat thighs....I was 5'9" and 118 lbs, but it didn't matter, my legs were too big.  I will never forget that day.  From then on I was self conscious of my legs. 
That's me on the right...with my "too big thighs"  HA!
Fast forward almost 20 years...It's been a fight to lose the weight gained from 3 kids, and life in general....
I kept thinking I just wish my thighs would GO AWAY!!  but then I started thinking...these thighs have carried me for 36 years.....they have bounced babies, climbed stairs, have run miles and miles, and will soon carry me through a half marathon.  They have built amazing muscle, and are strong beyond belief.  They can pedal a bike as many miles as I want to go, chase my children around the park, and have never let me down...
So if I have big thighs...good....I'm ok with it...because they are strong and healthy, and I will continue to build the muscle in them, so that they can chase my grand kids and great grand kids....
I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone has something they wish they could change...sometimes you just have to change the way you look at it.


hugs,
heather

6 comments:

TexasEagle said...

What a fantastic outlook...and a lesson for the rest of us! Thanks a million for sharing!

HancoxHomestead said...

You have fantastic shapely legs I would not consider your thighs to be big at all. Many women would kill for legs like that!

Keep up the good work, you look and sound great :)

Two Little Bluebirds said...

I think you have fantastic legs! There are so many beautiful women in the world and they don't have "perfect" bodies either. The best thing we can do as women is to stop comparing ourselves to celebrities, models, and women depicted in advertising. And we need to teach our girls to stop comparing themselves to these women as well. Love your unique self. Thanks for writing this! :)

Laura said...

Yep, I got the whole "you need to do something about your thighs" spiel, too. 5'10" 120 lbs and a 21 inch waist. I remember feeling the same way- self conscious, needing to hide them. Then one of the older models, I forget her name, she was about 45, she gave me this wisdom: "You are a woman, not a 5 year old boy. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE THIGHS." LOL, never forgot it.

Raige Creations said...

don't worry about your thighs I say, if you can run 5 miles without falling over, passing out, or damaging your knees (last one is me), then I say be PROUD! At this age, I say being in shape is more important than having those runway bodies. Being in shape is much better for you than trying to have skinny thighs - you look great and keep up the good work. Going for my walk now.....

ChocolateDogStudio said...

That is how I feel about the seat of the problem. LOL
Check out the link....http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/190347076_jRllIjts_b.jpg